The 8 Best Water Bottles of 2024 Reviews by Wirecutter | United Bluerise
The bottled water company is given a certification number that usually appears on the label or cap. State regulations also allow for plant inspections to ensure sanitary conditions. Approval of a bottled water source is the responsibility of the state where the source is located. About 75% of bottled water comes from approved natural sources such as springs or wells. The remaining 25% of bottled water comes from approved municipal water supplies like those that serve communities.
- For example, if the label on the bottle says “spring water,” then the water must come from a spring.
- A month later, Pepsi launched Aquafina Sparkling in flavors like black cherry dragonfruit and orange grapefruit.
- In past years, the Klean Kanteen Classic has been one of our picks, and we’ve tested the Insulated Classic as well.
- If you have a private well or spring, you will need to arrange for a private water test to determine if your water is safe to drink.
Niagara also invested $4.5 million in equipment so it could manufacture its own half-liter bottles instead of buying them from a supplier, saving two cents per bottle in the process. As Coca-Cola and Pepsi moved into the market, the reactions from industry watchers were decidedly mixed. The 1990s witnessed vigorous debates—sometimes lighthearted, sometimes in earnest—over whether bottled water was of any real value to consumers, or little more than a slick swindle. Perrier, a French brand of sparkling natural spring water that was founded in the mid-1800s, had been languishing for decades, its distinctive green bottles selling in a few high-end restaurants and almost nowhere else. In 1977, the firm hired Bruce Nevins, a 40-year-old ex–Special Forces officer and former Levi Strauss executive, to relaunch the brand to the American market with a blitz of television ads voiced by Orson Welles. We like the lid (again, just as with the Takeya) and the flip top that closes over the spout.
We’ve Recommended This Travel Mug for a Decade. It’s Still Going Strong.
If you are on a low sodium diet, look for water labeled as “low sodium” or “no sodium”. Contacting the bottled water company directly can answer questions about the source of the water, treatment processes, additives, and water test results that are not apparent from the label. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the safety of bottled water and bases its standards on the EPA standards for tap water.
Is bottled water safer than tap water?
Publications are available from your local Penn State Extension office or online at the Penn State Extension website to help you decide where to get your water tested and what contaminants to test for. If your water test report indicates a problem with your well or spring, the use of bottled water is one solution to the problem. Other solutions, like purchasing water treatment equipment or developing a new water supply should also be investigated. Sparkling Water contains the same amount of carbon dioxide that it had at emergence from the source. Sparkling water does not include soda water, seltzer water and tonic water which are regulated separately as soft drinks because they may contain sugar and calories.
Some companies add fluoride to their product, and the amount must be included on the label. If fluoride is in the water naturally, the label does not have to include fluoride information. Contact the bottling company to find out how much fluoride is in their product.